Friday, August 3, 2007

Purnashadjam... Bliss all the way !

Its been almost a month since I've posted something on my blog. You see, my college has reopened. And although, I come almost daily to the internet lab, I don't login to blogger. Well, today is a holiday... And I can definitely spend some time blogging :)


I was browsing thro' some videos on Youtube, when I happened to notice this video of Mandolin Srinivas rendering a song called Gananayakam in a lovely raga called Purnashadjam set to Adi talam.


This is the first time I've listened to this raga. And I'm listening to the same song for the fourth time ! Quite enchanting !


Purnashadjam, a janya of the 22nd melakartha Karaharapriya has the following Aarohanaa and Avarohanaa : S R2 G2 M1 N2 S // S N2 P M1 G2 R2 S


Sriramana nive in Misra chapu composed by Mysore Sadasiva Rao, Lavanya rama in rupakam and Srimanini in Adi talam composed by Thyagaraja are some of the other songs in this raga.


I suggest you listen to the song below... And get mesmerised by it !


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey it's excellent! Mandolin Srinivas' playing! No words!
Am listening to this song for the first time. I have listened to only Lavanya Rama before.

Anonymous said...

I am going to post the video in my blog too.

Jayanthi Sundar said...

Adu It was really good.
I suggest you digout similar hidden ragas and explain in this same fashion.Keep it up!!!

Anonymous said...

very very nice. I have never heard this raga. With resemblances to ritigowlai and kharaharapriya - no wonder it is enchanting!

CT said...

hey its beautiful! its similarity to karaharapriya is strikin indeed! and very well explained.. nice post:)

Musical Scientist said...

Hi..gaNanAyakam is indeed a beautiful composition and pUrNashadjam brings out a beautiful rasam. However, FYI.. dIkshithar composed this krithi in a rAga called rudrapriya which has the scale of:
S R2 G2 M1 P D2 N2 N2 S; S N2 P M1 G2 R2 S. Because of the presence of panchama and deivatha in the ArOhaNa, it gives an extremely different feel to this krithi. That said, USR's version is pure bliss too. Thanks for the video!!