Thursday, July 12, 2007

Saagara sayana vibho...!

"He did not get due recognition when he was alive, they rave about him years after his death" --- President APJ Abdul Kalam.


Guess who's the person being referred to, here.


...




Yes, it is Manjapra Devesa Bhagavathar Ramanathan popularly known as MDR.

One of my friends at college was a great fan of MDR. I dint know much about him until I was introduced to his concerts that I listened online. Man, what a majestic voice ! What a bass tone ! In his deep-toned exposition, there was an irresistible combination of tenderness and melody. His rendering of Jojo Rama in Reethigowla, Suga suga in SriRanjani are some of the few that I've listened to. I'm planning to listen to a lot more of his :)

It seems he was the most misunderstood Carnatic vocalist of the 20th century - says this website : www.mdramanathan.com . Although many musicians studied under him, no one was really able to emulate the great MDR.

He received several prestigious awards such as the Kerala State Sangeeta Natak Academy award, Padmashri, Sangeeta Nataka Academy award and others.

He was a great Vaggeyakkara too. He has composed many songs using his mudhra, 'Varadhadasa' as he was a disciple of Sri. Tiger Varadachariar.

Below is my rendering of the song, 'Saagara sayana' composed by him in Bagyeshree raga set to Adi talam.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My #1 artist! Every raga and I mean every raga he renders is a joy to me. But if I were to pick one - it is his sahAnA (giripai) in an academy concert.

Next would be rItigowLai (baDalikadIra, nannu viDaci, others)

Anonymous said...

Hey that was a nice composition :) I have started listening to MDR only recently. I am right now hooked onto his Kedaragowlai big time :)

Anonymous said...

Well sung! Never heard you singing alone. It was always in the annual day :) You've got a great voice. Bhagesri is such a beautiful ragam..

Adithya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.