Monday, June 11, 2007

Personifications of Brilliance

It was not the first time that I switched on my comp. just to listen to the enchanting piece of RTP beginning with Charukesi raga played by the violin duo. So intoxicating the RTP is, switching between different ragas is like sifting through different moods. I was in seventh heaven. I just could not describe it in words. All I could say was that it was just simply brilliant !





Virtuosity, perfect layam and novel innovations soaked in the grammar of Carnatic music on the violin bring to mind the duo Ganesh and Kumaresh, who have been riding high on the concert podium from a very early age. Coming from a musical family, Ganesh and Kumaresh, ace violinists from India, took to music very young in their lives. They started performing from when they were 7 and 5 respectively and in the last thirty years they have carved out their own expressions of music.





Trained by their father, Shri Rajagopalan, an excellent artiste in his own right, Ganesh and Kumaresh completed their hundredth stage appearance before the younger brother was ten years of age ! By the time they reached their teens they were rubbing shoulders with veterans in musical field !


In 1983, Sri M.G. Ramachandran, the great leader of Tamil Nadu, had an occasion to hear a television concert of the gifted brothers. He was so moved by their talent and accomplishment that he sent them a personal note of appreaciation. He wrote, "I was wonderstruck with your talent. My hearty greetings to both of you. I am sure you will reach greater heights in your career." He subsequently made them State Artistes of Tamil Nadu.






They have also made impressive forays into world music teaming up with luminaries like Zakir Hussain,Vikku Vinayakaram, Sivamani., George Brooks, Steve Thornton etc. Their fusion music is one of the most creative one.

Recently, at the launch of Carnatic chills, one of their fusion albums, AR Rahman who happened to be chief guest for the show commented on their brilliant playing. This is what Rahman spoke: "Past two months, I have been traveling to like 4 countries. All of them asked me, why do I live in Chennai? Well I have been thinking.... Well, my house is there, my studio is there....for another reason, we have Ganesh & Kumaresh there ! I was sitting there & listening to their Sahana, it was absolutely amazing !"


The brothers have also played for many hit songs in Tami, Hindi, Telugu and Malayalam. Some of them are Ennavale adi Ennavale from Kadhalan, Pakkathey Pakkathey from Gentleman, Muthu - Theme Music, again the bruha by Ganesh, background score when Tabu and Ajith meet in Kandukondein Kandukondein, Anbe sugama from Parthale paravasam (this is the one I like the most !)... the list goes on !

I like their unique and flawless way of presenting the songs at a catchy pace. The simplicity and elegant way of presenting their songs is catchy and appealing ! All in all, I can say that their style, presentation, coordination, dedication and their thirst for innovation is unmatched and I am one of their craziest fans. :-)

7 comments:

Simulation said...

Hi Adi,

Good post to startwith. Keep it up.

Jayanthi Sundar said...

Lot of info.
I want hear about your experience you had during all your concerts.

Unknown said...

Good work. You can post some clippings of your concerts - those of us who missed it will love to hear it

Anonymous said...

A good assortment of information. I like the quality of the english you've used.

Anonymous said...

A good assortment of information. I like the quality of your prose.

Adithya said...

thank you ppl very much !

Anonymous said...

Hey I too like their Charukesi RTP a lot :) I didn't it was Ganesh & Kumaresh who played BGM that comes when Tabu and Ajith meet in Kandukondein Kandukondein! And I too consider Azhage Sugama as their best :)