Thursday, June 21, 2007

Kalyana Vasantham

Kalayana Vasantham - The words "Kalyana" means marriage or something auspicious, "Vasantham" refers to the spring season. I don't know what "Auspicious spring" (!) means but the raga which holds this name definitely has a lot of meaning embedded in it. I feel this raga, suitable for singing during dusk time (not that any other time is inauspicious, but singing during this time might give it more feeling.. or rather make the singer give more feeling to it !), evokes a strong feeling of bhakti and a tinge of subtle feeling of sadness. It is the kind of raga which when sung according to the required aesthetics gives an aahaa (!) feeling to the listener.

I don't want to go into the technical details of the raga for now. It might bore you if you arent a Carnatic rasika or you might be knowing about it if you are one.




For the people who listen to Carnatic music, you should've definitely heard many songs in this raga. This raga was popularised by St. Thyagaraja who composed many songs in this raga. "Naadha loludai" is quite a famous one. "Innudhaya bharathe" composed by St. Purandaradasa is also quite popular.

For those who don't, I suggest you start listening to some songs in this raga. Truly, this is quite an enchanting one. I can suggest some old film songs like "Ninneye radhi enru" and "Kanchi pattuduthi". I don't know if there are any new ones in this raga. Do let me know if you happen to know any.

There's this book called RagaChintamani which is a guide to Carnatic ragas thro' Tamil film songs. This gives a compilation of around 1800 tamil film songs based on their Carnatic ragas. You can get more details at http://geocities.com/ragachintamani/index.html or contact ragachintamani@yahoo.com .

Below is my rendering of a varnam (a form of song in the Carnatic music repertoire) in this raga, composed by Sri. AS Panjapakesa Iyer and is set to Adi talam.

Singer : Adithya [ myself :) ]
Mridangist : Sri. Neyveli Ganesh



Note : For those who know this Varnam, there are 3 abrupt cuts in this recording. These are due to some technical problems during recording. So I hope you won't mind.
Others, I know you won't mind :)

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Adu,

Awesome presentation. I like the way you presented the raga and the meaning behind it in a simple manner addressing both the audiences ..the one who is interested in carnatic music and one who is not.

Nice.

Anonymous said...

Kalyana Vasantham is my favourite ragam and your rendering and song handling it the way you did is simply superb. I wish you render more songs in various other rags also and I convey my blessings and best wishes. I also wish you all the best in your endeavours!!

Anonymous said...

hi Adu,
your music is fantastic. Your voice is melodious.A great gift from God. pray you reach the top by the grace of God.

Anonymous said...

A budding star! Keep it up!!
V.S.

Anonymous said...

Well sung :) Nice post too.

Anonymous said...

very nice! I really enjoyed your rendition of this beautiful raga.

Anonymous said...

Hello Aditya

Very nice rendering,
is there any way you could post a downloadable mp3 of this varnam? I want to put it on my mp3 player
thanks

Anonymous said...

Do you know of a carnatic song that starts as "Kalyana Vasantha....Mandapathil"....I think. I'm trying to look for it.

Thks!

Lalitha said...

Hello Aditya,

I stumbled upon your blog on ragam Kalyana vasantham. Have you learnt the varnam in kalyana vasantham called Annalin Annai?

I am a beginner in carnatic music, and we are learning that in class... I wanted to hear it being sung by someone...

Could you maybe point me to a mp3 of that varnam ...

Thanks in advance

Mythili Jaganathan said...

i am a lover of karnatik musi and i am taking music lessons through internet. my blog is
www.guruguhaganavidyalaya.blogspot.com
i have furnished some purandara dasar songs. i have also written the tamil varnam in kalyana vasantham. can u help how i can do some audio clippings specially this kalyana vasantham varnam in my blog? my mail id is
mythilijags@gmail.com

Mythili Jaganathan said...

hi. i am mythili my blogis www.guruguhaganavidyalaya.blogspot.com
i have also furnished the kalyana vasantham varnam with swara sahithyam. ur expanation on the ragam is very simple and good. i am happy to br introduced to u.

Mythili Jaganathan said...

hi. i am mythili my blogis www.guruguhaganavidyalaya.blogspot.com
i have also furnished the kalyana vasantham varnam with swara sahithyam. ur expanation on the ragam is very simple and good. i am happy to br introduced to u.

Mythili Jaganathan said...

ur raga explanation is very simple and good.

anaghaa said...

Hi. New on your blog. Please DO discuss the intricacies of the raga, so that all of us can discover something we didnt already know.
Nice write. Will visit your blog more often.:)

Anaghaa.

Anonymous said...

hi
i am sinthu. i am learning carnatic since 2 years.in april i will have a competition, so i need some helps. i have to sing the varnam, "annalin aanai" in kalyana vasantham. i need so. who can control if i am singing with shruthi nd who can help to put the varnam in mistram. can you do it for me? or do you know some one who can do it? i will be very happy, thx.pls write me,my addy: kasithtr@mng.ch

greats sinthu

marees said...

Hi, I do not know carnatic music. But I know that the Sax exponent kadri Gopalnath mentioning that this raga was used in the songs of the movie duet. Is the famous "Anjali Anjali" song belong use this raga? Can somebody explain that?

Unknown said...

Hi Aditya,

Would you happen to know where Neyveli Ganesh is and how to contact him. I learnt mridangam years ago from him while I grew up in Neyveli and have been out of touch with him for more than a decade. Would really be great if you could let me know his contact details.

Thanks,
Karthik Mukundakrishnan.

Mythili Jaganathan said...

please visit my blog for raga alapana of kalyana vasantham.
my blog is
www.guru guha gana vidyalaya.blogspot.com
thank u --mythili jaganathan

Mythili Jaganathan said...

hi, please see my blog .i have sung kalyana vasantham raga alapana.

Mythili Jaganathan said...

hi, i have sung kalyanavasantham raaga alaapana. i know it is ur favourite ragam

Anonymous said...

This raaga was used in the title music of the movie Duet, performed by Kadri Gopalnath.